Friday, March 17, 2006

Tolkien Was No Hobbit

There is a funny article by Don Miller over at "The Burnside Writers Collection" titled, "Tolkien Was No Hobbit." I understand that some of you have a problem with James Frey, so don't get too upset by this article - just enjoy the tongue-in-cheekness of it. Here's an excerpt:

The truth is I wasn’t surprised by the whole Frey incident. As a book insider, I’ve known for a few years that the stuff in books is made up. I’m not trying to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you, but it’s something I discovered in my mid twenties.

I remember how much I loved J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” for example, but was enraged when I finally saw a picture of the author, smoking a pipe wearing a hat and jacket, no floppy ears, no webbed and hairy feet, a complete con. Lying bastard, I said to myself, throwing the book across the children’s section of a bookstore. Hobbit my ass.

Now go read the rest of it. Go on. Read it. One . . . Two . . .

6 comments:

Alison Hodgson said...

Read it. Very funny. Thanks for the link.

Thanks as well for posting St. Patrick's Breastplate. I love that. A group of women in our church were in a dance class designed to expand their worship. They performed a dance while one read this. As there was no music, it was more a series of integrated movements, slow and graceful. The way they moved together and supported each other was such a lovely picture of what we can be for each other when Christ inhabits, surrounds and transforms us. It brought tears to many of our eyes. Beautiful. Thanks for the remembrance.

truevyne said...

I wanted to let my Hobbit lovin' boys read this, but I'm sure they'd all miss the humour and not miss any of the cursing. Grin.

CameraDawktor said...

Have you read Don Miller's Blue Like Jazz? I loved it and thought it an excellent book, he seems like a cool guy......if what he was writing is true!! teehee

Unknown said...

Truevyne, I'm sure you're right.

Cameradawktor, I have read it - I loved it too. He has a new book out about growing up without a father that I'd like to read titled To Own a Dragon.

CameraDawktor said...

Oh yes....I bet that would be a good one. Glad you liked him.

A guy at my church went to seminary with him. So he introduced our Pastor to his book Blue Like....so that's how I heard about it and read it.

I was very convicted about my inability to love people. Don Miller comes across as someone whose mission in life is to love people. I was encouraged by him.

Jamie Dawn said...

That's just plain funny!