Thursday, April 03, 2008

Less Than Human

I just finished reading The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis. It's not the first time I've read it, and, this time, I read it twice in as many weeks. Sometimes a second or third reading is warranted in order for the murkiness to be plumbed, in a manner of speaking.

I picked up the little book again after many years at the recommendation of Fr Thomas Hopko, an Orthodox priest, in one of his many lectures I'm working through on my iPod. This book is phenomenal. If you haven't read it recently, read it. Please. Because I want to talk about it. And while it speaks of the necessity of the objectivity of Values and Reason it also addresses issues more ecclesial. I suppose that is no surprise.

If you've read the 80-page book recently, I'd love to hear your thoughts. This book needs reading. I'm not even sure what kind of questions to ask for discussion, but I'm sure it will find itself relevant as the days pass. Perhaps I'll post as it does.

1 comment: