Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Nikko Blue

Nikko Blue Hydrangea

I wish you could see my hydrangea - it's gorgeous, one of the best things about our house. The flowers are beautiful - that's a picture from this morning. Most of the flower clusters don't yet have this reddish hue in the center of the individual blossoms, but this was my best picture. (You can click on the picture for a closer view.)

It's difficult gardening with so many of our flowering bushes on the side of the house near the road, such as the hydrangea in the picture. It's not difficult with the girls, who are old enough to know better than to wander into the road, but the Raccoon goes wherever the spirit takes him. And the road calls out to him. And he answers: "On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again."

We're so highway-minded, that we sometimes forget the simple goodness of a garden - sometimes we forget that the greatest truths are robed in mystery and in beauty, that the beautiful is the truth.

When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
'Beauty is truth, truth beauty'
- Keats

4 comments:

Dan said...

Guess what I just planted yesterday?

Two Nikko Blue Hydrangeas.

I'm a fan!

truevyne said...

Perhaps you could tie your children to a nearby tree while you garden. If your children are anything like mine, they'd think it was a hoot!

Alison Hodgson said...

I have been wanting/needing to write about gardening. I think it kept me sane (if only semi) when my big kids were little.

We put in a billion dollar fence so that I could blink and not lose a kid. Christopher was three at the time and he was caged for five minutes before he figured out how to stand on the gate and reach over and lift the latch.

Those five minutes were worth the cost of the fence.

Unknown said...

Dan, the Nikko Blue rule begins. Enjoy yours.

True - too funny. I'm sure they would think it a hoot. They'd probably chew through the rope though.

Alison, that's when you padlock it. We have a fence covering a portion of our yard so I can send the kids out to play without too much worry, but it doesn't go all the way around the property. Sounds weird, but it works with our layout.