Monday, March 10, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

A late addition to my favorites list:

Best Book of 2007: A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini, or at least the best I've read. I finished it last night with little ado, other than filling up my trash can with tissues. I also yelled at my wife to leave the room when she came in to see where I was in the book, because I don't like others seeing me cry; or staring at me and asking that terrible question: "Are you crying?" - Yes! Yes! I'm crying. Now leave me alone, woman! - And I was blubbering like a baby. This morning my eyes feel odd and heavy from the tears; it's uncomfortable. Anyway, enough of my womanish ways.

This book is profound and beautiful, recounting the lives of two women. For me, it was also deeply theological in ways that I would be cautious to express at this moment other than to say that God is all good and the Lover of mankind.

And while it is, of course, fictional, it is true - as all good fiction is. I highly recommend this book.

No comments: