1. Always wear proper clothing.
2. Always carry a good flashlight or wear a headlamp.
3. Don't dive without a buddy.
4. There's a difference between a dumpster and a compactor - don't learn that difference the hard way.
5. Avoid dumpsters that
- are littered with the bones of small animals.
- are crawling with black widow spiders.
- have arcane symbols painted on them.
- have professionally posted Hazardous or Medical Waste signage.
- are being emptied or will be emptied while you are inside.
- are guarded by large rats.
6. Dig in dumpsters that
- don't fall under Category 5.
- are popular with the Fair Folk of the Shopping Cart.
7. Good girls don't kiss and tell - so don't divulge delish dives.
8. Never ever leave anyone behind.