Friday, December 02, 2005

The End Is Near

It's true: The end is near. This is the time. This is the season - the season of advent, of coming. And yet . . .

I still haven't done my Christmas shopping. Now this isn't unusual for me. We're heading up to Michigan for Christmas with my family and we usually wait until we're there to shop - it saves packing the gifts and there are eager (almost eager) babysitters present. Anyway, we eagerly await our time in the frozen tundra. We eagerly await time away, time with family, time to rest. And the kids also eagerly await, of course, stuff - wrapped in the magic paper of possibility. Sure it's the size and shape of a book, but maybe it's a Barbie. Yes, it rattles like a maraca, but does that mean it can't be a new dolly?

Let me enjoy my kids and my family. Let me observe Advent and celebrate Christmas. Let me praise God for being faithful to his promise to send the Messiah, our King, his Son.

I don't want anything this year. Nada. If you get me anything, I'll be offended. Give the money to the poor instead (no, not me - the other poor.)

1 comment:

Jamie Dawn said...

Ha, ha.. the other poor.
I'm not a fan of cold weather or snow. Michigan would be tooooo cold for me.
My kids are older now, so the thrill of Christmas is different, but it is still there. My kids will be thrilled about the gifts their Grandad told me he and Granny are buying them. I can't wait to see them open those special gifts!!
I treasure my memories of when they were little and would squeal with delight over every gift.