Thursday, May 26, 2005

Sugar and Spice, and Everything

Snapshots

My six-year-old, Sophie, was watching Spider-Man (I know what you're thinking, and, whatever) and when he rescues Mary Jane and swings away with her, my sweet one looked at me and said, "Spider-Man couldn't pick you up like that." My first born! The fruit of my looms!


One morning I was working in my office. Sophie woke up, came into the room, sidled up next to me, and started farting. I, slightly green in the face, looked at her and asked her to go downstairs if she was going to continue breaking wind, stepping on the duck, making the spider bark, flatulate, fart, or what you will. She looked at me and said sweetly, "I'm going to go downstairs and make Anna cough."


"Anna, find your shoes," I said. "I don't know where they are," she said. "That's why you need to look," I said. (We go through this routine every time we need to go somewhere.) And as I was readying my only begotten son, I saw Anna looking between her legs at the floor below her. She looked up and said, "Daddy, I looked under my butt and my shoes aren't there!"

4 comments:

Montana Sherry C said...

You know, it's these little gems, thrown out randomly and when I least expect them, that keep me going sometimes. If parenthood weren't so dang amusing, I don't think I'd make it.

Alison Hodgson said...

If you are a writer and God gives you kids, you are a fool to not take notes. I am glad you are no fool.

Your kids sound lovely.

How fortunate they are to have so much time with their dad. Scott, I get how challenging the stay at home thing is and I can't imagine the psychic hurdles there can be for a guy, especially. I wish there was some way to quantify how their little spirits are filled having so much of you. I think it is so great that you are doing your girls' hair. They are getting so much appropriate loving touch from their dad.

Unknown said...

Sherry, I'm with you. I couldn't make it either. Not to mention if they weren't adorable - that would be another strike against them. And if the younger ones stopped taking naps, then they might be in a bad way too. Thanks for reading.


Alison, it has been a good road to be on, staying at home. I wouldn't mind continuing down it. That whole machismo thing is a difficult hurdle. I wish I could say it was behind me. And loneliness was rocky ground for a good part of the way. But God is teaching me to be a better father and a better husband. It's his grace that gets me through. It's certainly his grace working in me when I'm kind to my children, when I'm patient with them. I don't know exactly how to express my gratitude for this time in my life. If it does end soon, I'll remember.

Oh, and if I haven't said it yet, I appreciate your friendship after all these years. It's nice getting in touch again.

Unknown said...

Lol - no problem, Andy. Kids are too funny.