Friday, November 03, 2006

Why I Am Catholic, XII

"I believe in ... the communion of saints." This statement, pulled from the Apostles' Creed, means two things to me currently: (1) Believers are to be one, and (2) When believers die, they are not wholly lost to us.

Love necessitates prayers for or to or about the dead. And if we close off such an important part of our life from Him, how are we to be honest with God? Or do we simply die piecemeal with those we love, as they die?

"Of course I pray for the dead ... At our age, the majority of those we love best are dead. What sort of intercourse with God could I have if what I love best were unmentionable to him?" (C.S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm, 107).

1 comment:

truevyne said...

My grandmother passed away years ago, but I just know she's dashing about heaven rigging bird feeders with pull strings so the fat Blue Jays don't steal all the food. And I imagine if she's able to look down on me, she's asking Jesus to remind me to fill my empty bird feeders.
I know if she is able, she speaks directly to Jesus on my behalf, and I also pray for her with a zeal I can't muster for any other living soul, because the prayer springs from the deepest part of me.