Friday, February 23, 2007

A Drive-By Meditation (or Two)

Theology is about prayer more than it is study. It is about silence more than it is about words. Theology is a life lived, not contrary to the doctrines of the Church, but compassionately and humbly within them.


I was praying this morning after dropping my girls off from school (it will probably be how I die, praying while driving). As I was praying the Our Father, the lines "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven" struck me as being a particularly dangerous prayer. It is dangerous to self in light of Christ's passion and His prayer in His passion - "Not as I will, but as You will." A prayer of surrender. I then began to consider how the coming of God's kingdom, of our making present His kingdom in our world, requires the death intrinsic within these words. God's kingdom requires of us our lives, a kenotic reverberation - united, gloriously, with the reality of Pascha.

No comments: