Friday, August 26, 2005

Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell is an interesting book. I picked it up today because none of our libraries had it yet and, last night, I had just finished reading/skimming nearly 80 reviews of the book on Amazon that left me feeling intensely uncomfortable.

Heresy was ringing in my brain.

So naturally I bought the book.

I don't know Rob. I never have. I'm sure I've met him before because we attended the same church in high school. My sister's best friend dated him. Some of my high-school friends chummed with him at church. But I don't know him. I've never had any kind of relationship with the guy.

Quite honestly, I probably wouldn't have liked him all that much then.

He probably wouldn't have like me all that much either.

But I get him now.

It's just one slim volume, of course, but I think I understand what he's saying. I think I understand what he's trying to say. More importantly, I think I understand what he's trying to do.

From what I can tell, he's neither heretic nor apostate nor infidel. So I guess that makes him a saint, like me - a Jesus follower. Quirky writing (which I like) from a quirky guy who loves life, and who loves God. He wants other people to be who they were created to be - to be restored, to be reconciled to God.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

It's a good read.

And if you do think he's a heretic and you do have urges to gather firewood or rocks or rope, remember that it's Rob's book and not mine.

2 comments:

Anna said...

If you like quirky, funny books that border on heretical but stay to this side of it, try Lamb by Christopher Moore. It was the funniest book I've ever read and it made me think about what Jesus' actual life might have been like.

Jamie Dawn said...

My hubby has read this book and wants me to read it.
It looks short enough to read in one sitting.