Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Why I Am Catholic, III

I am a sinner, and Catholicism knows it. As a real sinner, I freely ask and freely receive His real mercy, each moment, every day. I am no longer burdened with the nonsense of my improbable though obligatory saintliness. Instead, I begin Mass saying, "I confess to Almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault . . ." And the acknowledgment of my sinfulness frees me to become genuinely holy.

Confessing that I need so much mercy is not oppressive, but liberating. It allows me to laugh, to smile, to live again. It broadens me, making me small enough for joy - simply because there is mercy.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

No comments: