Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Early Fathers on Almsgiving

"The bread you do not use is the bread of the hungry. The garment hanging in your wardrobe is the garment of the person who is naked. The shoes you do not wear are the shoes of the one who is barefoot. The money you keep locked away is the money of the poor. The acts of charity you do not perform are the injustices you commit."
- St. Basil the Great

"There is your brother, naked and crying! And you stand confused over choice of floor covering."
- St. Gregory of Nyssa

3 comments:

unquenchableworshipper said...

I'm thinking my outdated vinyl kitchen flooring which does not appeal to my senses will remain.

Unknown said...

lol. I know what you're saying.

I read these quotes yesterday - as well as a plethora of others like them and realized that I needed a/another/more conversion of my heart. I can't shake the quotes, and I know that I am not equal to them.

Kodzillla said...

yikes...
Lord have mercy upon us all. I used the St. Basil quote you have in my blog...because it does kinda make it important for us to almsgive...but maybe it maybe that is just too great a difficulty for all of us, especially me!
Hope you guys have a Great Lent.