Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Possibly Convenient Truth

It's been another warm winter down here in North Carolina. I don't think we've seen snow in a couple of years. Global Warming? Looks like it. Our fault? That question - whether we have had, are having, or could have any effect on the change in climate - seems to be up in the air. But better safe than sorry, I would imagine.

I mean, imagine losing half of Florida and then discovering that my SUV and lawn mower had played their parts. I suppose I'd feel kind of guilty about that. Granted, nothing a pint of Ben and Jerry's and a Disney movie (L'chaim! Mickey) couldn't cure, but there'd be some remorse. I'm sure there would be.

Regardless, it seems to be the next big thing. Does that mean the end of the world? Hardly. First, if the waters were to rise twenty feet or so, would that make my property beachfront? Probably not, but maybe I could think about investing in property where it would. A little research could equal a lot of money for the grandchildren. Second, the warming climate would seem to lessen my reliance on oil, pushes back my need to buy a solar-powered vehicle, gives battery scientists a few more years to get their asses in gear, and what have you.

I'm sure there are other pluses as well, but I've got to get back to work on my cartography degree.

No comments: