Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Up Series

I don't know what to write about this fascinating, longitudinal documentary of 12 children born in 1956. It is called the The Up Series. It first shows them at seven, and then revisits them every seven years. They will be 51 this year - the last installment is 49 Up. I finished the series four or five days ago, and honestly, I'm a mixed bag of emotions about it. I find myself thinking about these people, currently living in the UK, whom I have never met, as if we are old friends or distant relations. It is my story in many ways. I imagine it is yours as well.

Dan suggested the series, and I told him I'd let him know when I finish.

Jackie (I fell in love with 7-year-old Jackie, who reminds me of the yellow-haired child), Bruce, and Neil particularly fascinate me. I see myself, my family, and friends in them. I don't know what to say, honestly. It's a very moving series. Perhaps it's ridiculous, but I find myself praying for these people occasionally.

Again, more proof that I need to get out more. I'm my own kind of mad, I suppose.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Man, I'm sure glad you enjoyed them as much as I did. They really grabbed a hold of me, and I had a similar response to you in that they began to feel like friends, and I worried about them.

Neil is perhaps the most fascinating for me. I just want the guy to have a happy life...and can't wait for 56 Up to see how he's doing.

And I'm sure they wouldn't mind you praying for them!