Sunday, November 06, 2005

Church Lost Penguins Blankey

We skipped church today. We are frustrated and unsure of what to do at this point. Do we continue, each week, searching for a new church home or do we look sporadically while still attending our old church (40 minutes from home)?

So today we just skipped. I attended the Church of Lost, Season 1, instead.

Oh yeah, I've been catching up on Lost. I've ordered the DVDs from Netflix and I am halfway through the first season. Good stuff.

I have never been able to get into this TV show before - it didn't make much sense and now I think I know why. It's a narrative - a series of narratives - that grows. Very organic, very difficult to start in the middle of a season.

Unfortunately I've already missed the first two or three episodes of this season (I started watching at episode 3 or 4). So I'm behind. But I'm catching up. And now I'm addicted. This has got to be, imho, one of the finer television shows in recent history.


I took the girls to see The March of the Penguins at the $2.00 theater yesterday. Have you seen this documentary? Too many babies die. Sophie began crying about halfway through it because of all the baby chicks and the unfortunate mommy that just don't survive. (She's so tenderhearted.) Nevertheless, she did like the movie. I would like to see it without the wriggling and talking and crying children.


This yellow-haired child loves her Raggedy Ann and Andy blankey. I've talked about her veneration before, but it amazes me sometimes. Yesterday, when we were leaving for the movie she gave me an I-don't-want-my-blankey line. She's getting so big. So of course I grabbed it and brought it along anyway. Sure enough, within two minutes of getting in the van, she was screaming for it. It's like crack. Soft, red-and-blue, velvety crack. What will we do if this thing ever gets lost? Not that the holy shroud will ever be out of sight long enough. . . .

4 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

I've never seen Lost.
I will have to post one of these days about my son's attachment to what he called, "My nightgowns." They were a satin night shirt of mine and a baseball jersey sleep shirt of my hubby's. My son HAD to have these with him at night no matter where he was. "Where are my night gowns?" he'd say. He even took them when he spent the night at friends' houses. He had them hidden in his sleeping bag. One time he called home because he had forgotten them, and Hubby had to drive them over so he could stay at a friend's sleep over.
We went to the Redwoods and he accidently left them in the bed at the motel. He didn't realize it until we were home that night, and we called, but they didn't have the shirts saved. He was crushed, but he was forced to get over it. Poor kid was only about TEN years old at the time!!

Montana Sherry C said...

Scott, I was so relieved to read this post in its entirety. From the title, I had assumed that the church nursery had lost the much-treasured "penguins blankey," belonging to one of your precious little ones. That could have been tragic and turned the child off to organized religion for the rest of his/her days!

truevyne said...

Dear Scott,
I live a ways from civilization and love it that way...except for the church thing. The church thing was already challenging even before we moved the distance. My dh and I stopped looking for the perfect church and joined the one we felt God call us to...for now.
The hardest thing for me as a contemplative is subjecting my children to the ENTERTAINMENT factor which prevails in children's ministry these days instead of spiritual formation. Listening prayer? Who could ever hear anything, much less God, over the music the leaders BLARE as the children walk in to their class.
My heart longs for much more.

Anonymous said...

our DD had a ragdoll called Rosie. She did start off pink. She's 13 now (the doll is 12½) and has carried it with her almost everywhere (no longer but she's still precious) she was once lost for 6 months, she fell out (or was taken?) from my bicycle basket.

One day she was returned to the local store and we found her pinned to the notice board. After months. The whole family celebrated :) honest we did!

And I have another funny story, but think I'll keepthat for another day.

be blessed whole family and security whatevers too :)