Tuesday, June 21, 2005

A Shadow

I'm a dreamer. I've always had these grand visions in my head about what it might be like if . . . and then I live in the dream and never, as Emerson said, build foundations under my cloud-bound castles. But I need to start building. I need to recruit the vision to be the coal and the fire in this steam-engine heart of mine. And then I simply need to obey, no matter how small, no matter how uncomfortable, no matter how laughable. I need to break ground. If I obey where I am, then these visions' foundations will be built. God will see to that. Because God is the speaker of visions and dreams.

Lord, be Thou my will. Make me as sensitive as a shadow, obedient as a shadow, selfless as a shadow - utterly submitted to you. Be Thou my will.

What's the vision, you ask? For the church to stand as one body and start living like the church was created to live. It will entail less arguing and more living. It will involve taking care of the poor and the homeless and orphans and crazies and druggies and single mothers and sick people and prisoners. It will involve embracing sinners, not stoning them. Loving sinners, not laughing at them. It will be declarative living - lives that cry out, "Jesus is Lord," and "The Kingdom of God is here." A fool's dream? Absolutely. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Regardless, I'm going to go look for a shovel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Visions from God! Hard, painful. And yet we need to hang onto them.

Don't give up mate! His prayer is that we WILL be one. He intercedes right alongside us. And yes he's shovelling too :)