Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Wounded

I have been wounded. There are scars on my body to prove it. Each scar was earned through pain. Some of the wounds almost killed me.

I have a dimple on one cheek because I fell into a barbecue pit while trying to avoid being sprayed with a hose. That one almost killed me. The doctor thought it might. But I woke up the next morning. And I woke up the morning after that.

I am wounded: Spiritual wounds. Emotional wounds. Wounds from when I was my children's ages that have still not healed. I try to let them heal, but they get picked at. Burns from anger's furnace. Wounds from thoughtless arrows. A limp that I gained from being crushed under burdens too heavy for a child.

I don't need to be specific, because you have similar wounds and you know. Some of your wounds go far deeper than any of mine. And I'm sorry.

As a follower of Christ, I am called to bind up wounds. You have wounds, let me help you bind them - especially if I am the one who wounded you. And please, help me with mine.

4 comments:

Alison Hodgson said...

I am not satisfied with binding wounds.

I want to be healed and through my testimony of God's grace and redemption I want to be a channel for Him to heal others.

I am pressing into the love of God. A couple months ago I began to cry out, "Satisfy me with Your love!" That opened up so many things for me. A series of epiphanies - things I have known since I was a child became truth. I have known the word "omniscient" since early grade school. I am beginning to see what God's omniscience means for me - holy awe and peace and love. He sees me.

Unknown said...

Jaymarie, you humble me. Thanks for reading.

Alison, I am not satisfied with binding wounds either. But I don't know if I am capable of anything more. Scripture speaks of God binding up our wounds and I'm left wondering if total healing will not take place until we see his wounds. Perhaps I need to go deeper. You've been an encouragement to me speaking about God's grace and love - it's something I've been "pressing into" lately as well. I pray God keeps us on this course.

Alison Hodgson said...

Total healing is a declaration for me. I am not saying it is what I have - YET, but if I don't ask for it, look for it, extend my faith to it, I will never know it here on earth.

And I want it.

Please know I didn't speak in condemnation or pride but from a place of joy and excitement that His yoke really is easy, His burden is light. It is my crap that is so stinking heavy and I am willing to lay it down because I want peace and rest for my soul.

Your post was really beautiful. I liked where you talked about burdens too heavy for a child to carry, but you carried them. I knew that shy, inward boy and am grateful to know the man you have become.

God bless you.

Unknown said...

I understand, Alison. I'll let you know if you step on a toe.